Community

How is Data Modelin...

Notifications
Clear all

How is Data Modeling different for Big Data environments or Is It?

Topic starter
(@manwac)

What are the different methods to model in the Big Data space, is it different , does not 3rd normal for or Dim modeling work?

4 Replies
Admin
(@shoberman)

At a logical level, most of the time 3NF (relational) or dimensional work fine. Where different methods are needed, is when the requirements are structured differently. For example, requirements that are graph- or document-based would require a different modeling approach. A patterned-based set of requirements, which would be graph-based, might look more like a mindmap than a relational data model.

1 Reply
(@manwac)

@admin thanks, could you recommend some sites with examples. I am really interested in the graph/document approach. I have not had the opportunity to work in any of these environments.

Topic starter
(@manwac)

@admin thanks, could you recommend some sites with examples. I am really interested in the graph/document approach. I have not had the opportunity to work in any of these environments.

Admin
(@shoberman)

I really like the way the book Graph Data Modeling distinguishes the different levels of models - this would be for graph. I am also currently reading the book, SPARKL, which talks about knowledge graphs, and so far really enjoying the read. I don't have recommendations for the document side - maybe my book "Data Modeling for MongoDB" which covers MongoDB but also more general document-type structures (JSON).

Share: